- 2 cups Bottle Gourd pieces (Sorakaya Mukkalu)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp or a small lemon sized Tamarind
- 3 or 4 green chilies or chili powder
- A pinch of Turmeric
- A pinch of Asafetida (Inguva, Hing)
- A handful of Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ½ tsp Black Gram (Minappappu, Urad Dal)
- ½ tsp Bengal Gram (Pachi Senagapappu, Chana Dal)
- Few Curry Leaves
- Pressure cook bottle gourd pieces until done.
- Soak tamarind in enough water for some time and extract juice. Keep aside.
- If using readily available tamarind pulp, skip the above step.
- Heat oil in a pan or bowl and add mustard seeds. When they splutter add cumin seeds + black gram + Bengal gram and sauté well until the dals turn golden brown in color.
- Then add chopped onions + tomatoes + green chilies or chili powder + curry leaves and mix well. Then pour some water, cover and allow onions to become soft.
- Then add tamarind juice as needed and mix well. Also add turmeric + asafetida and mix well.
- Finally add bottle gourd pieces and bring the mixture to a light boil. Add salt and mix well.
- Then turn off the flame and add chopped cilantro on top and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy with rice/chapathi.